Thursday, April 22, 2010

Tat tat tatted up....

Anyone who has frequented any institution has most likely seen a large amount of young people (16-24) with tattoos. Dating back to the 4,000 BC, tattoos have been used for multiple purposes over the years and have remained in pop culture. Our generation is taking this, once discouraged body art, as self expression on almost every body part possible.

I am fully for self expression, I just worry about the future of the people who decided to give into the cultural pressure to get tatted up. As my father reminds my brother and me on a regular basis, "When was the last time you saw a Fortune 500 CEO with neck tats or on the golf course with tattoo sleeves?" -NEVER!



As I sat in class today, I watched a young man present a nearly flawless presentation on Social Psychology but found myself distracted every once in a while by his tattoos on his neck, visible over the collar of his business shirt and his arm tattoos that were also visible (his sleeves were rolled up).



While Im sure he thinks hes cool when he is at the beach, tattoos arent a temporary badge that you can wear and take off as you desire, they are permanent and will be with you for the rest of your life, so are you sure you want to attend the company retreat with "ROCKSTAR LIFESTYLE" tattooed on your forearm?


Another major issue I have is females littering their body with bold, manly and just plain NASTY tattoos. A woman is supposed to be soft and delicate and some women with nearly perfect bodies choose to ruin them with excessive tattoos.. NOT CUTE!


My advice when contemplating getting a tattoo:
1. Get something that you wont mind looking at when you are 20, 40, 60 and 80
2. Get it in a place that wont prevent or hinder you from getting a job or taking a certain role in your future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment